Wednesday, October 25, 2006

I love my job

Well I tried to post last night and the phone rang....I never got back to the computer after my phone calls. Then I started towards bed earlier than normal after that. My voice is still shot - scratchy. But at least my throat doesn't hurt - unless I cough. I'm quite certain I got the germs from Son1 - who is hopefully on the mend. However I'm going to wait until Monday before calling the Dr......I want to be sure it's not a virus. Anyway enough about this.

It's pretty funny to try to drive a school bus without much of a voice - I discovered this afternoon that I currently am unable to yell loud enough to get the attention of a child in the back of the bus. I'm limited to having the child to my right get the attention of who-ever I need. It made me laugh - especially when they said "use your PA system". I don't have one on this bus! And really hate to use them even when I do have them available.

OK......on to the real reason I have been thinking about bus driving. I am so incredibly blessed to have a job that I really truly enjoy - it has me outside rather than cooped up in an office. I have the chance to impact people for good or bad - and possibly for eternity - simply by how I greet them in the morning. If I bother to learn their names the kids learn that even though I'm strict I truly do care about them. And learning their names really isn't that difficult - just takes time at the beginning of the school year. It's really neat to be out in public doing something and having a kid recognize you and wave or say hi or even come up and give you a hug. Or to have a child get on in the morning and always stop and tell me something about their morning or life - whether that it's cold outside or the name of their rooster! This is a job that I don't dread getting up to do....though sometimes I don't enjoy the "getting up" part.

But there are drivers in our school district that really do not enjoy kids or driving a bus - they are in it just for the money. That honestly baffles me - the money really isn't that much for the responsibility we have. Actually I can't imagine a worse job for someone who thinks most kids are "evil" or doesn't like kids because of what she/he perceives as bad behavior/personalities. I would hate to have a job where I dreaded work because I really didn't like the people I hauled. I know that every job has it's drawbacks but I really think that if I was miserable at my job I should be finding a different one.

None of that probably makes sense but I don't know how to word it better. The kids are getting ready to want the computer for awhile and I need to figure out what to serve for dinner as Son1 ate the leftovers I was thinking about.

2 comments:

AfricaBleu said...

Edith,
It's great that you put so much into your job. Contentment, in work or life in general, really has so much to do with the heart -- and yours appears to be made from solid gold.

As far the sore throat thing, I have one word for you: echinacea. Get a big bottle at your local whatever-Mart and take when you feel a cold/flu coming on. If you already have a running nose, it's too late and won't help, but if you catch it before it really gets bad...

I swear it works -- I dose my family with it when we have signs and we NEVER get sick. (A fact our tax lady was actually complaining about last year because we had no medical claims for tax deductions).

Edith said...

Oh your comment on the echinacea made me laugh - I would so love to have no medical claims for tax purposes! This time it's definitely too late....now I just have to gut it out. Wish I could give my 10yr old something to keep him from getting this junk - he had perfect attendence at school last year and is wanting the same this year.