Thursday, December 14, 2006

He Made Clothing for Them

I just recently started a new devotional study called "Women of the Bible". The study is written by Ann Spangler and Jean E Syswerda and literally is a 52 week study - Monday to Friday. Anyway....I've had the book for awhile now and finally decided that I would never start it at the beginning of the year so would just start it - and take as much time as I needed with each lesson. So yesterday I was working on day 3 on Eve. One of the questions asked was "What is the first thing God does for Adam and Eve after He declares their punishment?" The Scripture to go to for the answer was Gen. 3 :20-24 which I guess I'll quote below.

"Adam names his wife Eve, because she would become the mother of all the living. The Lord God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them. And the Lord God said "The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat and live forever." So the Lord God banished him from the Garden of Eden to work the ground from which he had been taken. After he drove the man out, he placed on the east side of the Garden of Eden cherubim and a flaming sword flashing back and forth to guard the way to the tree of life."

It said that "the Lord God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them." Wow this really stood out to me - the first thing that God did for Adam and Eve - after he had declared their punishment was to provide clothing for them - and likely, though we are not told this - food also. It brought to mind just how much God loves and cares for us - He has promised to provide all we need. This is something I need to remember - especially when I stress over finances and getting things done.

Ok...I've probably repeated myself enough but it was a new insight for me. I need to scoot - this day is not a overly productive day here at home - I've gotten a haircut and done an Amish run which I need to go finish. Tonight we have grief group - our only time this month and I have some shopping to do in "the city". Tomorrow I need to have my gift bags for my kids on the bus finished as well as do another Amish run. Then there's packing, jam to make (to take with), gift wrapping and all the other things to take care of that's required before one takes a trip.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Edith,

That section on the Bible has become one of my very favorite. I wrote about my insight in Behavior, Sin and the Brain.

Adam and Eve had tried to cover their sin on their own, but manmade righteousness is never good enough.

Don't worry about how long it takes you to finish this study. The first time I read my Bible in a Year it took about 2 1/2. Sometimes I lost motivation. Sometime I sat on a section and studied it longer than one day. Other times, God interfered with my life and allowed illness and trials. I was still blessed.