Monday, June 18, 2007

Am I Wrong?

Am I wrong to be skeptical of "get rich quick" types of businesses? The ones that talk about residual incomes from getting people into the business beneath you...and that insist you can make thousands of dollars simply from joining the business and getting other people to sign up under you? I had a phone call from a friend from church tonight - she's worked for several years as a demonstrator for a large chain of stores - but has now joined this business. She's trying to recruit me to join under her as one of her "downline" - telling me it really works - you do make up what money you put out to join in and then some - especially since the market isn't saturated with this business yet. To me ...I see a pyramid that eventually has to come to an end. And it really really bothers me - I'm just not interested in being involved in that sort of thing. And I get frustrated when people constantly push me to get involved. I did tell her I was very skeptical about the whole thing and really didn't want to get involved. I would be interested in hearing other's viewpoints on this though I'm not eager to get into a huge debate over it.

Argh...Iv'e got to get to bed. It's way late and my thoughts are very muddled. Tomorrow and Wednesday are both going to be long days...and I wonder how I'm going to work another job. (I did Amish runs most of the day today).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Edith,

I was recruited to be the down-line for someone selling Discovery Toys. I have to say, I didn't like it ~ at all! In order to make money, I had to book parties. I hated approaching my friends, neighbors, church members... trying to book parties. I did a couple of parties at daycares and was just there while the mom's were picking up their kids. In the end, I quit after three months. I never made back my initial start-up fee. I did end up with a great set of toys. I donated them to a neighbor who was opening a daycare.

Edith said...

I probably should have said that I've tried selling TupperWare and Creative Memories. I really didn't enjoy the parties - or rather the booking them. However I thought - and still do think - that the products were excellent. This new business doesn't involve product - it involves signing people up for services they already use. (I can't explain it well).

Suo said...

I have been involved in several of these type of business ventures. Each time I joined one, I would think, "Ok, this time I'll make it work". But they never seemed to work out for me. There did seem to be an awful lot of meetings to go to, and I was always having to spend $$$ to attend these meetings, and to buy books, and whatever else my "upline" told me I need to have to be successful. I never did see any of that "residual" income though.

~B. said...

yeah, i'm skeptical of thoses sorts of business, yet i know alot of people who are involved and seem to be making money. i think it takes alot of commitment on your part, and alot of drive... you have to know if it's something you think you can handle, or if it would be too much stress. someone tried to get me into the discovery toys business, and i tried it for maybe a month and it really didn't suit me at all... mostly for reasons julie mentioned above.

Karen said...

I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole!

That's me.
Love,
Me