Thursday, May 03, 2007

Random JigJigga Memories

I've decided to write a "just for fun" post - keeping in mind and prayer that there are those facing major things in their lives today.

Another blogger asked at the end of one of her posts what memories her readers had from when they were young. This prompted me to think back to my days in Ethiopia mainly - as a child. At one point while there we lived in a 2 bedroom house with no electricity and no indoor choo (toilet). Mom and Dad likely would not remember this place with such fondness as I'm certain there was much more work involved than other places we lived. However I made a list of memories from that house.

I remember.....
.... getting to sleep in the living room - where I got to watch the sunrise every morning.
..... my sister falling out of the top bunk in the room she shared with our brothers - and my having to give my bed in the living room to her as a result.
...... Dad laying on the floor in the kitchen priming the refrigerator by sucking turpentine through a tube.
...... Dad falling through the ceiling in their bedroom after taking a misstep in the attic.
..... getting to rock my youngest brother in the rocking chair one day - he was sick - holding his hot fevered body until he suddenly threw up all over - think Mom was likely busy with the others - or fixing a meal for us.
..... spending hours up in the tree near the outhouse reading books - and staying put even when I was called for lunch
...... having other missionaries in for Sunday night sings - lit by kerosene lamps
...... riding bikes.

I'm sure there are many other memories but these are the ones that stand out to me. It would be fun to hear your memories from childhood also.

3 comments:

d. miller said...

Thanks for the memories, Edith. I had forgotten about throwing up all over you.

Edith said...

Well....considering you must have been 4 or younger that doesn't surprise me at all! Hope you enjoyed them!

~B. said...

i'm glad you wrote your memories, they are great! it's always so nice for me when i remember something "new" again.. ah! like today, they were burning brush around the town, and the smell took me back to africa and the dry season and i just dreamed all day!