Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Puss & Peaches

Tired tonight but overall I feel like I accomplished at least a bit today. I have 5 good sized bowls of peaches sitting on my kitchen table waiting to be processed tomorrow. I suspect that they will only be good for jam and jelly but we will see how they look and taste peeled. The kitchen and stove top is cleaned and ready to process the peaches - no matter if they end up jelly/jam or canned. Soon there will be apples to do. And thankfully I found some people that like pears so those won't go totally to waste!! I'm happy there.

Oddball had her babies today - she delivered 3 but one appeared to be a stillbirth - and of course that one looked like it would have been a calico. The one that was cleaned up and looked great is ginger colored. She had those 2 early this morning. I went out late morning to take care of the dead one and found that she had moved the ginger one and there was another live kitten where she had delivered it. However Oddball herself was not there. So - of course - I ignored the reason I was out there in the first place and tried to figure out how to get mama to accept her baby. I cleaned baby up a bit - as much as possible - as it was very feisty and appeared healthy. Then I took it to mama (who was with the ginger kitten) and got her to lay down with both babies. Then I took off for town for kitten milk just in case I needed to bottle feed the one. By the time I came back mama had cleaned up the second kitten & both appeared to be doing well. So...hopefully I will have two healthy kittens from this litter. The second one is another possible calico - those are definitely my favorites. Tiger's 4 remaining babies are doing well I think. Their eyes are open and they are moving around quite abit. Both mama cats need to be fixed - that will have to happen sometime this fall/winter. In the meantime I hope all the babies will survive the much colder nights we are having.

In addition to picking peaches and "cat care" I got two of my perennials planted this evening. The honeysuckle is back by the woodpile - hopefully it will take off and cover the wood. The black-eyed Susan is also back there slightly down from the honeysuckle. My goal for that area is to have a large perennial bed that will attract hummingbirds and butterflies, in addition to being one area less that has to be mowed. There are still a couple of other plants I need to get in and it's almost time to think bulbs. However not tonight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I also love calico kittens and cats. They are my favourite kind and I had one once in PNG.