Monday, August 14, 2006

Sun Poisoning????

Wow...where do I start? It's been a hectic crazy couple of days and not likely to slow down much from now on out. Son2 woke up yesterday morning with a swollen face and eyes nearly swollen shut - he was back in bed asleep within 15 minutes. He slept all morning (no church for me) and didnt' look any better after he got up. He also by that point had a rash on his neck that was itchy. I'd been advised to give him Benadryl by my sister (thanks) and was advised by the dr. on call to continue that for 24 hours. I called the dr. back when he started throwing up and she called back a couple of hours later to check on him. (Dr's that do that are a rare thing!) Anyway he spent the night in my room - neither of us slept overly well. This morning I called the doctor's office to have him seen. He was diagnosed with sun poisoning. I wasn't overly surprised due to the research I'd done yesterday - both online and talking to people. However I was surprised that the doctor put him on an antibiotic for the next 10 days. So far he's only had one dose and is already feeling much better - and the swelling is starting to go down. Yeah! Having said that.....he will also have to be very careful in the sun for - likely - the rest of his life - it will be very important that he use sunscreen and maybe even wear a hat. It's amazing to think that the sun could actually be "poisonous" for someone.

In between all that school starts this week - and there is all the last minute stuff to get done. This morning I drove my bus route with the boss - actually he drove and I rode and took notes. Tonight I went to the elementary school that my bus goes to help out with "Back to School" night - it was "meet the teachers" and registration all rolled into one night - Complete and total chaos. I felt completely out of my element. However I was pleasantly surprised to find out I get paid for my time there - and I did meet some parents and kids. Now in the next couple of days I've got to get my bus picked up and learn the route - and get times set. I do have a couple of kids that have never been to public school before - they've been homeschooled.

I'm feeling overwhelmed - seems like that's a common feeling lately. I feel like I need to step back and get some order in my life but don't know how. AT least the house is staying somewhat picked up.

There's a gorgeous sunset tonight - pink clouds and a pink glow over everything.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still read your blog every day, even if I don't comment. :)

Sun-poisoning? Another word for a severe sunburn? I still don't understand why they prescribed an antibiotic. Does he have blisters?

I know how you feel about being overwhelmed. Me too. I need to go to bed.

Love,
Me

Edith said...

Ok...here's an overdue comment on your comment (and an update). Dr. said it was basically like an infection - I was surprised at the antibiotics being needed also. However after one dose he was feeling much much better so I'm not complaining. Of course now that school has started I'm having trouble getting his 4 doses in.

All right - got to go - Love you lots,
me