Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Projects

My last post seemed to end abruptly and didn't really go where I wanted it to go - probably because I ran out of time to type it (and if I save stuff as drafts I often lose it). However I did appreciate the feedback and encouragement I received as a result. We made it through the anniversary date - Son1 probably had the hardest time that day. I got to go to breakfast with a friend here and with work stayed busy the rest of the day. Son1 returned from his retreat that afternoon - completely exhausted and grieving. During the retreat the kids had to come up with skits to show what a peacekeeper does - he came up with the idea of using the picture of him and his dad that he'd taken along - getting it, sitting down to look at it and then have a couple of other peacekeepers (his age - they were peer leaders for the younger ones who were just coming into the program) come over and talk with him about it. I don't know what exactly was said but it certainly made an impression on one of the kids on my school bus who'd been at the same retreat - he told me about it that Friday afternoon almost as soon as he got on the bus. However I'm sure doing that so publically brought the pain back for him. Son2 never said anything at all about it - not sure at all if it's because he's still trying to bury the pain or he really didn't remember.

Anyway....my dear aunt - who reads my blog and chooses to comment privately in an email - suggested that I use this time alone (not that I'm truly alone) to focus on finishing projects that I'm working on - and reminded me to remember that God has a plan for me. That scripture from Jer. 29 has been one of my favorites for many years - I just haven't focused on it enough recently. As a result of that encouragement I am going to focus on my photography course that I signed up for almost 2 years ago now. I'm now down to having to finish 33 lessons in just over a year. My immediate goal for this is to get the first two assignments done and ready to mail by Monday. Additionally, I'm going to try to focus on getting a handle on my finances (a topic for another post), my home - I hate housework - would much rather be working outside on stuff or reading, stitching or anything other than cleaning! And my weight - since I gave up my Y membership I've put pounds back on. (depression doesn't help either). As far as that goes....I find if I make sure I brush my teeth immediately after I'm done eating I tend to snack less. And does jumping on the trampoline count as exercise?? Now that's it's been nice out Son2 wants someone to jump with and it's usually me! (I finally figured out last night that that's likely part of the reason my legs have been so sore the last couple of nights).

One final project is something that's essentially unstarted - I have albums to make for the boys about their dad. I've been collecting pictures of his childhood, family, etc since he died but right now all are still in a bin. I've got the pictures I want to put in the front of each album - professional portraits of each boy with his dad and the albums. Outside of the first page the next main section should be almost identical for each boy as it will include copies of his family tree, childhood pictures and hopefully recollections from family members. (as a whole, hubby's family never talks about him - it's like he really didn't exist). Then I guess the final section will include pictures of the boys with their dad. The project is unstarted because so far I haven't been able to face doing this alone. I would absolutely love to have someone come along beside me and work with me on it - even if they were working on their own project but with me - in the same house, room or whatever.

Ok...enough rambling - it's time to go work on scanning slides. That's another major project I'm working on - scanning slides for my Mom and Dad. This way they will be on something current as far as media is concerned. And hopefully we will be able to get them labelled with the "who, what, when, where" information.

3 comments:

kalipay said...

i'm in the same boat with you on that correspondence course, though mine is in art. i really really should be done with it now, but have been SO lazy. :( what kind of assignments do you have to do? do they teach you by a book? is there a place you can call to get help or suggestions?

ohhh, i wish i lived closer, i'd love to clean your house for you! you teach me photography and i do housework: fair trade? :D

trampoline definitely counts as exercise! have you ever heard of rebounders? they are basically little trampolines, made specifically for exercise. they have videos and all to go along with these things... keep jumping!

when you start doing those photo albums, i would LOVE to see some of the pictures! it is kinda easy to post pictures on blogger once you have the pictures on your computer...

~B. said...

son1 is so brave to have done that skit at the retreat. even if he's not talking to you about it, he's obviously working stuff out inside himself. and to do that around a group of his peers is just amazing. you have a strong young man on your hands, lady! my prayer for him is that however he chooses to deal with his grief, it does get dealt with and he will move on to become something great as a grown man.

~B. said...

ps. it made me cry.