Saturday, March 31, 2007

Why?

Ok....I'm not doing so well right now - desparately need to talk to someone but there's no one around.

There's a local Amish family that I've hauled some members of occasionally - one of their daughters has just been diagnosed with a brain tumor. (This daughter is a twin) Initially it sounded like the news was "good" - that there were no tendrils/fingers of the tumor extending into the brain and that the doctors might be able to do something for her. However the latest news is that there are tendrils extending through out the brain - think eyes on a potato - the longer they sprout outwards, the deeper they also go inwards. Surgeons have drained 140 cc's of fluid off to relieve the pressure and will be continuing to drain fluid as needed. The oldest daughter just got married less than 2 weeks ago, the youngest child is 6 months old (also a daughter) and I'm not sure how many there are in between. Rachel (with the tumor) is 11 or 12 and is hospitalized 2 - 2 1/2 hours south of here. The baby is down there with the parents - the other children are having to hire a driver to go back and forth to visit. There are still the chores to do to keep up the home front - taking care of the animals, the house, the business....The Amish community is generally fairly closely knit so I know they have help. But it's still a trying time.

I struggle with this whole situation. To me a diagnosis of a brain tumor is pretty much automatically a "terminal diagnosis" - if not soon, still eventually. Personally I tend to want to very much distance myself from the situation - to block it out and pretend it doesn't exist. It makes me ask "Why? Why isn't there an effective treatment for this (or any cancer for that matter)? Why do kids get this - especially?" I know it's awful for anyone to go through but how much worse for a child! I think - why does God allow this? but I know that the answer truly is that it's a result of the fall and the sinful condition of all in this world. I know that God must have a plan in allowing this for Rachel and this family - I don't know where they are with having a personal relationship with God. I hope and pray that if they don't this will draw them to Him. Beyond that all i have is my questions.

3 comments:

~B. said...

ah, i wish i could be there to hug you right now... sorry.. i'm sorry, edith! :( my heart is heavy for that child and her family, and for you. if there's anything i can do from so far away, please let me know!!

Widsith said...

How is the family dealing with it so far, Edith?

Edith said...

I honestly don't know - I haven't heard anything today. The last news I heard was that she was going to be sent home yesterday or today - surgeons would drain fluid as needed but otherwise nothing would be done except keep her comfortable.